Making the decision to rehome your pet is never easy. If you own a pet that you are no longer able to provide care, the Northumberland Humane Society will accept animal surrenders from residents in Northumberland County.
Before surrendering your animal to the Northumberland Humane Society please note:
We take animal surrenders in by appointment only, as we have limited space and resources.
Please call us at 905-885-4131 ahead of time so that the animal care staff can ensure that we can set up appropriate housing for your pet.
An up-to-date rabies vaccination is required for all cats and dogs entering our facility. Rabies vaccinations must be obtained for the safety of staff and other animals staying at NHS.
There may be a surrender fee depending on your animal’s species. You will be informed of the surrender fee when you contact the NHS to make a surrender appointment.
If you are considering surrendering your pet because of behavioural problems, we encourage you to seek advice and training to work with these problems before you make your final decision. Most behavioural problems arise because of miscommunication between the pet and the owner or when a certain need of the pet is not being met. If you have a challenge with your companion animal that you want help with, please contact us. Our staff can guide you through the resources that are available to help you keep your pet.
Surrendering your pet is a final decision. Once you have completed the surrender process, your pet becomes the property of the NHS and cannot be reversed. We understand that surrendering your pet is an emotional decision so please take time to think about your decision.
We ask you to provide the following:
• Your pet’s medical records (or the name of your pet’s veterinarian clinic)
• A piece of photo identification for yourself
• Up-to-date rabies vaccination certificate (provided by your veterinarian)
• To help reduce your pet’s stress, we ask that you bring items that are familiar to them such as favorite toys and a blanket
• Fill out an Animal Surrender Form for your specific pet and provide as much information as possible about the animal’s history. Please be honest about any medical or behavioural problems so that staff can match your pet with the appropriate home.